December 09, 2002 Copyright © by United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
- Hallelujah! 1 Praise the name of the LORD! Praise, you servants of the LORD,
- Who stand in the house of the LORD, in the courts of the house of our God!
- Praise the LORD; the LORD is good! Sing to God's name; it is gracious!
- 2 For the LORD has chosen Jacob, Israel as a treasured possession.
- I know that the LORD is great, our Lord is greater than all gods.
- Whatever the LORD wishes he does in heaven and on earth, in the seas and in all the deeps.
- He raises storm clouds from the end of the earth, makes lightning and rain, brings forth wind from the storehouse.
- He struck down Egypt's firstborn, human and beast alike,
- And sent signs and portents against you, Egypt, against Pharaoh and all his servants.
- The Lord struck down many nations, slew mighty kings--
- Sihon, king of the Amorites, Og, king of Bashan, all the kings of Canaan--
- And made their land a heritage, a heritage for Israel his people.
- O LORD, your name is forever, your renown, from age to age!
- For the LORD defends his people, shows mercy to his servants.
- The idols of the nations are silver and gold, the work of human hands.
- They have mouths but speak not; they have eyes but see not;
- They have ears but hear not; no breath is in their mouths.
- Their makers shall be like them, all who trust in them.
- House of Israel, bless the LORD! House of Aaron, bless the LORD!
- House of Levi, bless the LORD! You who fear the LORD, bless the LORD!
- Blessed from Zion be the LORD, who dwells in Jerusalem! Hallelujah!
Table of Contents Previous Chapter Next Chapter
1 [Psalm 135] The hymn begins and ends with an invitation to praise God (Psalm 135:1-3, 19-20) for the great act of choosing Israel (Psalm 135:4). The story of Israel's emergence as a people is told in Psalm 135:5-14; God created and redeemed the people, easily conquering all opposition. God's defeat of hostile powers means that the powers themselves and their images are useless (Psalm 135:15-18). The last three verses appear also in Psalm 115:4-8.
2  Though all nations are God's, Israel has a special status as God's "treasured" people: Exodus 19:5; Deut 7:6; 14:2; 26:18; Malachi 3:17.
New American Bible Copyright © 1991, 1986, 1970 Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, Inc., Washington, DC. All rights reserved. Neither this work nor any part of it may be reproduced, distributed, performed or displayed in any medium, including electronic or digital, without permission in writing from the copyright owner.
USCCB Home Page New American Bible Home Page
New American Bible
United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
3211 4th Street, N.E., Washington, DC 20017-1194 (202) 541-3000