December 09, 2002 Copyright © by United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
- 1 2 The LORD is king, robed with majesty; the LORD is robed, girded with might. The world will surely stand in place, never to be moved.
- Your throne stands firm from of old; you are from everlasting, LORD.
- 3 The flood has raised up, LORD; the flood has raised up its roar; the flood has raised its pounding waves.
- More powerful than the roar of many waters, more powerful than the breakers of the sea, powerful in the heavens is the LORD.
- Your decrees are firmly established; holiness belongs to your house, LORD, for all the length of days.
Table of Contents Previous Chapter Next Chapter
1 [Psalm 93] A hymn celebrating the kingship of God, who created the world (Psalm 93:1-2) by defeating the sea (Psalm 93:3-4). In the ancient myth that is alluded to here, Sea completely covered the land, making it impossible for the human community to live. Sea, or Flood, roars in anger against God, who is personified in the storm. God's utterances or decrees are given authority by the victory over Sea (Psalm 93:5).
2  The LORD is king: literally, "the LORD reigns." This psalm, and Psalms 47; 96-99, are sometimes called enthronement psalms. They may have been used in a special liturgy during which God's ascent to the throne was ritually reenacted. They have also been interpreted eschatologically, pointing to the coming of God as king at the end-time.
3  The flood: the primordial sea was tamed by God in the act of creation. It is a figure of chaos and rebellion. Cf Psalm 46:4.
New American Bible Copyright © 1991, 1986, 1970 Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, Inc., Washington, DC. All rights reserved. Neither this work nor any part of it may be reproduced, distributed, performed or displayed in any medium, including electronic or digital, without permission in writing from the copyright owner.
USCCB Home Page New American Bible Home Page
New American Bible
United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
3211 4th Street, N.E., Washington, DC 20017-1194 (202) 541-3000